Special Immigrant JuvenileTo petition for SIJ:
A state court in the United States must decide:
- To declare that you are a dependent of the court or to legally place you with a state agency, a private agency, or a private person and
- It is not in your best interests to return to your home country (or the country you last lived in) and
Eligibility Requirements to be eligible for SIJ status:
- You must be under 21 years old on the filing date of the Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant
- Your state court order must be in effect on the filing date of the Form I-360 and when USCIS makes a decision on your application, unless you “aged out” of the state court’s jurisdiction due to no fault of your own.
- You cannot be married, both when you file your application and when USCIS makes a decision on your application.
- You must be inside the United States at the time of filing the Form I-360